Est. June 12th 2009 / Desde 12 de Junho de 2009

A daily stopover, where Time is written. A blog of Todo o Tempo do Mundo © / All a World on Time © universe. Apeadeiro onde o Tempo se escreve, diariamente. Um blog do universo Todo o Tempo do Mundo © All a World on Time ©)

sábado, 21 de fevereiro de 2015

Meditações - o velho relógio da escola

The Old School Clock

'Twas a quaint old clock with a quaint old face,
and great iron weights and chain.
It stopped when it liked, and before it struck

it creaked as if 'twere in pain.
It had seen many years, and it seemed to say,

'I'm one of the real old stock',
To the youthful fry, who with reverence looked

on the face of the old school clock.
What a terrible frown did the old clock wear

to the truant who timidly cast
An anxious eye on those merciless hands,

that for him had been moving too fast!
But its frown soon changed, for it loved to smile

on the thoughtless, noisy flock,
And it creaked and whirred, and struck with glee,

Did that genial, good humoured old clock.
Well, years had passed, and my mind was filled

with the world, its cares and ways,
When again I stood in that little school

where I passed my boyhood days.
My old friend was gone! And there hung a thing

that my sorrow seemed to mock,
As I gazed with a tear and a softened heart

at a new-fashioned Yankee clock.
'Tis the way of the world. Old friends pass away

and fresh faces arise in their stead.
But still 'mid the din and bustle of life

we cherish fond thoughts of the dead.
Yes, dearly those memories cling round my heart,

and bravely withstand Time's rude shock;
But not one is more dear or more hallowed to me

than the face of that old school clock.

John Boyle O'Reilly

2 comentários:

João de Castro Nunes disse...

Da minha escola primária
eu me lembro com saudade:
quem me dera nessa idade,
nessa linda fase etária!

JCN

João de Castro Nunes disse...

Ao relógio que existia
na minha escola primária
para trabalhar havia
que dar-lhe corda diária!

JCN