Est. June 12th 2009 / Desde 12 de Junho de 2009

A daily stopover, where Time is written. A blog of Todo o Tempo do Mundo © / All a World on Time © universe. Apeadeiro onde o Tempo se escreve, diariamente. Um blog do universo Todo o Tempo do Mundo © All a World on Time ©)

quinta-feira, 29 de agosto de 2024

Meditações - since for you I stopped the clock, It never goes again

A Shropshire Lad 53: The lad came to the door at night


The lad came to the door at night,

    When lovers crown their vows,

And whistled soft and out of sight

    In shadow of the boughs.

 

‘I shall not vex you with my face

    Henceforth, my love, for aye;

So take me in your arms a space

    Before the east is grey.

 

‘When I from hence away am past

    I shall not find a bride,

And you shall be the first and last

    I ever lay beside.’

 

She heard and went and knew not why;

    Her heart to his she laid;

Light was the air beneath the sky

    But dark under the shade.

 

‘Oh do you breathe, lad, that your breast

    Seems not to rise and fall,

And here upon my bosom prest

    There beats no heart at all?’

 

‘Oh loud, my girl, it once would knock,

    You should have felt it then;

But since for you I stopped the clock

    It never goes again.’

 

‘Oh lad, what is it, lad, that drips

    Wet from your neck on mine?

What is it falling on my lips,

    My lad, that tastes of brine?’

 

‘Oh like enough ’tis blood, my dear,

    For when the knife has slit

The throat across from ear to ear

    ’Twill bleed because of it.’


A. E. Housman

Sem comentários: